Effective Measures To Stop Snoring
Snoring is a sleep disorder affecting both men and women. Men tend to snore more than women do. A snoring husband or wife often takes away the other person’s good night’s sleep by making them toss and turn around and eventually keeping them awake. It can increase their risk of heart and other diseases. Which in turn can lead to a lot of tension in the relationship. Older people tend to snore more. Remember how we made jokes of our parents or grand parents snoring ?
Before going ahead with the tips it’s better to check with the doctor to address any serious underlying issues. Doctors will look for any possible allergies, your eating patterns, if you are on any particular medication and if you drink alcohol or smoke. They will also examine for throat deformities and obstructive sleep apnea.
There are many ways to fix snoring such as a simple lifestyle change, exercises, drugs, surgeries or anti snoring devices.
Life style changes include:
1. Sleep on your sides because lying on your back or your stomach creates stress on your neck which increases snoring.
2. Lose weight to cut down the fatty tissue on the back of your throat often being the cause of snoring.
3. Consumption of alcohol four to five hours before sleeping makes snoring worse. Quit drinking or avoid during the bedtime.
4. Sleeping pills increases snoring similar to alcohol. Talk to your doctor about the alternatives.
5. Quit smoking and exercise to strengthen and tone those neck muscles. Singing often will exercise your throat muscles. You can also try sticking your tongue out and try touching your chin or nose several times.
6. Allergies increase snoring. Wash your pillow and sheets regularly. Address any mold or dust mites issue including allergies from pets.
7. Use humidifier to keep the room moist since dryness causes snoring too. Consider taking a hot shower to keep your nasal passages moist. Also stay hydrated and drink plenty of water.
8. Maintain a good sleep schedule. Always go to bed and get up at the same time everyday.
9. Use pillows to raise your upper body and not just head to facilitate easy breathing.
Apart from lifestyle changes there are anti snoring devices that claim to work too.
1. SnoreCare Vents are quiet popular on amazon and a lot of people claim it works. They expand and strengthen the nasal passages allowing maximum air flow and prevent obstructions in the throat that causes the sound of snoring.
2. Anti-snoring pillows support the neck in a particular position to keep the throat airways open. However many claim that it doesn’t work.
3. Nasal strips also help to lift and open your nostrils to increase airflow. It targets nasal congestion and hence its ineffective if you are snoring because of throat problems.
4. Snore sprays when applied reduces the lining of the nostrils in a way that promotes more room for breathing and stops snoring. It can however result in an unpleasant after taste.
5. Chin straps are for mouth snorers. It keeps your mouth closed by keeping the jaw in position. Encourages breathing through nose and stops snoring.